ART can sooth.  It can stimulate. 

Sometimes, it can inspire.

 

All About Art at MossRehab has been doing all three since
1979 when MossRehab staged the first art exhibition
in the eastern U.S. featured works of art by 35
professionals artist with disabilities. Since that time,
the exhibition has earned a nationwide reputation
as an influential marketplace where artists with
disabilities have the opportunity to display and
sell their creations in a competitive, juried show.

SAVE THE DATE!
All About Art

April 25 - June 24, 2014
  

 


Charles Domskey, MossRehab art
exhibitor and Parkinson patient in his
studio on Pine Street in Philadelphia

In 2012, we had more than 600 submissions from around the country, says Julie Hensler-Cullen, Director of Quality and Education at MossRehab. Ultimately, the selection panel chose 365 pieces by 86 artists for the exhibition.

Showcasing these talented artists and the positive response of the attendees is very gratifying, says Bob Drucker, a longtime supporter of the annual art exhibition. As the number of submissions has grown, so has the quality of work. The jury panel in 2012 included Marianne Mitchell, a nationally recognized artist who received her BFA in Painting from Washington University, with post-graduate work in Japan, China and at the Vermont Studio Center and Joe Girandola, after apprenticing as a stone carver in Italy, received his undergraduate degree in art from Pepperdine University in Malibu, Calif. and later was awarded a Graduate Teaching Assistantship at Studio Art Centers International in Florence, Italy.

 Julie Hensler-Cullen, Coordinator for the exhibition (right) with Alberto Esquenazi, MD, Director of the MossRehab Gait and Motion Analysis Laboratory and Regional Amputee Center and his wife, Rosa 

        

Of the 86 artists selected, the panel chose works by 60 returning artists, explains Ms. Hensler-Cullen. We reviewed watercolors, oil paintings, jewelry, sculpture, pottery and ceramics, mixed media, and collages. Prices are set by the artists and range from less than $100 to several thousand dollars. The artists receive 80 percent of the sale price and with the remaining 20 percent, MossRehab purchases artwork from the show for their permanent collection, displayed at its various inpatient and outpatient facilities."

Seeing art throughout the hospital created by artists who have some of the same disabilities our patients serves as an inspiration to them,"says Ms. Hensler-Cullen. When people who have a spinal cord injury see work done by nationally-known artists like Eric Mohn, paralyzed from the waist down at age 17, who paints holding brushes between his teeth, they are encouraged. It can be a real motivator.

An important aspect of All About Art is its impact on the community. "Throughout the duration of the exhibition, we offered guided tours for community groups, scouts groups, groups from local synagogues, patients' families, and other organizations," explains Ms. Hensler-Cullen. During Kids Day at All About Art, we gave children a tour of the exhibition and explained how the works were created by people who are paralyzed, blind or have other physical disabilities. Then, the kids worked on their own art projects, simulating what it is like to have a disability. They used only their non-dominant hand to create pottery and jewelry or held a pencil or paintbrush in their mouth to draw or paint. Finally, we engaged them in a discussion about what that experience was like for them. The program heightened their awareness about the challenges and the possibilities for people with disabilities.

 

 

 

 


 

 

Einstein Healthcare Network

Office of Development
Braemer Building, Ground Floor
5501 Old York Road, Philadelphia, PA 19141
Phone: (215) 456-7200 | Fax: (215) 456-7165

Einstein Healthcare Network

Office of Development
Braemer Building, Ground Floor
5501 Old York Road, Philadelphia, PA 19141
Phone: (215) 456-7200 | Fax: (215) 456-7165

           

Copyright 2015 Office of Development Einstein Healthcare Network  Privacy Policy